“When the going gets tough, the tough get going”
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. We’ve all heard this phrase used time and time again. What does it actually mean? Let’s break it down into 2 parts.
- “When the going gets tough” means facing a challenging situation. Not “if” but “when” you are faced with an obstacle or difficulty. This can be related to nearly any aspect of your life.
- “The tough get going” means taking action. While in the midst of this challenging situation, what are doing or not doing? Has this obstacle affected you to the point that you are so discouraged that you’ve completely stopped what you were doing? Or has this obstacle presented you with a new opportunity to learn as you grow?
Regardless of your answer, here are 5 ways to help you through nearly any situation when the going gets tough:
When the going gets tough, Try this:
1. Don’t sell yourself short.
Self-depreciation is a common enemy when the going gets tough. Don’t belittle yourself and your capabilities just because you’ve encountered a challenging situation. Instead, focus on your strengths and look for different ways that these strengths can help you to resolve the current issue that you’re dealing with. You are better than you think you are!
2. Don’t exaggerate challenging situations.
Make sure that you are seeing obstacles and difficulties for what they are and not more than what they are. When the going gets tough, more often than not these issues are unimportant or trivial to your big picture.
3. Don’t waste too much time on decisions.
Don’t waste too much time thinking about a solution. There will never be a perfect time to deal with challenges. Once you’ve found a answer, get down to business and start taking action!
4. Turn defeats into victories.
When you face a setback, find something positive that you can learn. Losing is nothing more than learning as you move closer to your goals. Applying what you learn is what makes a lose a win.
5. Don’t be afraid to try something new.
Stick with your goals but don’t be afraid to change your approach. Instead of beating your head against the wall, experiment with a new approach. Thinking outside of the box is exactly where you might find your answer.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out our tips for when the going gets tough. Be sure to check out some of the other great sports motivation brought to you by Wild Child Sports!
- Nike Motivational Quotes – The Top 10
- Vince Lombardi Quotes – Our Top 10
- Sports Quotes – 10 Quotes Every Athlete Must Read
- Rocky Balboa Speech – 5 Life Lessons
- Michael Jordan Quotes with Audio
- Extreme Sports Quotes – Our top 5
- Friday Night Lights Speech – Perfection Defined
- Michael Jordan Commercial – “Maybe it’s my fault”
- Game Day Quotes – Bring Your “A” Game